Let There Be Pies

I will be the first to admit that I don't bake. I mean, I bake a little tiny bit and with my husband (the master recipe follower) looking over my shoulder. The thing about these specific recipes is that I can do them. I'm trying very hard to share my good experiences in the kitchen so that I might help others have great experiences as well, but I tell you, my baking skills are wanting.
These little beauties are perfect for your next gathering. I found them here.
Mini Apple Pies
Yield: 
 4 servings
Ingredients: 
1 cup 1/4" diced apple (use any apple you like)
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 frozen pie shells, thawed
1 egg, beaten (optional)
Instructions: 
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix diced apple, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Step 2: Press the pie shells flat. Don't worry if they crack at the edges, they can be easily patched. Cut each shell into quarters. Line 4 fluted metal tart tins (3" in diameter) with pastry, pressing off edges along the rim (no crimping needed). Fill with diced apple. Cover with remaining pieces of the pastry, patching where necessary. Cut small Xs into tops with paring knife. Brush with beaten egg, if desired.
Step 3: Place on baking sheet. Bake in middle rack of oven for 20-25 minutes until golden, and bubbling can be seen at opening. Let cool slightly before eating (these mini pies are meant to be eaten out of the tins, don't remove from mold).

 My sweet neighbor Brenda has Celiac disease. I've tried to find some recipes that she can enjoy and I've been pleasantly surprised how well they taste. There are a few gluten free recipes that I use frequently now and I've noticed that it's often easier to pick up gluten free items in the regular grocery store than having to find a specialty store. I found this recipe while searching for "gluten free" and it's delicious. It's very tropical tasting. 

Gluten Free and Dairy Free Coconut Custard Pie                             Recipe Here
Prep time: 10min   Cooke time: 45min   Serves 8 
Ingredients:
3 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
1 C. sugar
2 T. sweet rice flour OR (you can substitute a gluten free blend
2 T. tapioca flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 C. light canned coconut milk
2 T. softened dairy free butter (Earth Balance Vegan Sticks) Sunflower Market or Whole Foods 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 C. flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350
Beat eggs with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add gluten free flours, vanilla, coconut, softened dairy free butter, salt and coconut milk. Beat just until they are combined. 
Pour pie mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Bake until custard is set and coconut turns golden brown, usually about 45min. 

I saw these little cuties on Pinterest a little bit ago and Sam and I recreated them. Unfortunately I didn't get my camera out when we made them so I had to hunt the recipe back down and use their photographs. You can find the recipe here. I'm making these for Thanksgiving. We did this cherry version and my little one didn't appreciate the chunky cherriness, so I made a version of grape jelly with grape glaze and pineapple apricot with a lemon glaze. 

FOR THE TWO-BITE POP TARTS

1 c. fresh cherries, pitted and diced
3 T. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 pkg. prepared pie crusts
FOR THE POPS
wooden popscicle sticks
FOR THE GLAZE

1 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
food coloring and sprinkles (optional)
In a small saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch and almond extract. Heat on stove over medium heat until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. Unroll pie crusts and using a pizza cutter to slice them into 1 1/2″x 2″ rectangles (I used a ruler to measure mine into equal sizes.  Just use a butter knife to score your pie crust before cutting). 
Place a wooden popscicle stick on top of one of the cut rectangles, then spoon a small amount (about 1 1/2 tsp.) of cooled cherry filling into the center of the pie square, taking care not to get it near the edges.   Gently lay a second rectangle over the top of the cherry filling.  Press the edges of the rectangles together with a fork.  Transfer to a baking sheet.  Bake pop tart pops in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or just until the edges begin to brown. 
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to make glaze.  Tint with food coloring, if desired.  Spoon over cooled pop tart pops, sprinkle with colored sugar, and allow to the glaze to harden slightly before serving.
Grape version, just spoon the grape jelly inside and create the grape glaze using the same glaze ingredients, just dye it purple mixing red and blue food coloring. 
Pineapple Apricot, just spoon in the Pineapple Apricot jam and make the glaze with:
1 c. powdered sugar + 1-2 T. milk 1/2 tsp. lemon extract + lemon zest and yellow food coloring with crystal sprinkling sugar. 
Follow Me on PinterestNutella mixed with 1 mashed banana and make the original glaze with multi colored sprinkles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment