Soup Dujour

 A couple of weeks ago I was sent an email telling me that one of my recipes had been chosen to be included in a cook book to be published for the Summer of 2012. It's not really that big, but it's a little flattering. I really am more excited about the recipe I created. I'm no genius, but I think I know how things taste and this one tastes good. If you have the time and a couple of hands to help then it's totally worth it. Bottle it up and it will be your go to sauce for pasta, chicken, soup, appetizers etc.

Garden Tomato
4 Pints of processed tomatoes (if you don’t have your own processed tomatoes, just purchase canned stewed tomatoes (san marzano are my favorite, but they are expensive, use what you like.)
                Place the tomatoes in a heavy stock pot with 1Tbsp. Salt, cook for 15 minutes. Don't let them burn. After they have cooked for 15 minutes, drain them in a fine mesh strainer. Place tomatoes back in pot on low to medium heat.


Process the following in a food processor or finely chop
2 Green Bell Peppers
1 Large White Onion
1 Whole head of Garlic, skins removed and the bitter end chopped off
1 Medium sized Carrot
1 Rib of Celery or you could just use 1 tsp of celery seed
Add processed veg to the tomatoes and cook until soft.
                  Add
2 1/2 Tbsp dried Basil (do not add fresh basil, it will turn your sauce black) After your sauce is cooked, you can add fresh basil
2 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sea Salt or course Kosher (It isn't bitter and will keep your tomatoes bright red)
2 Tbsp. GOOD Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I cook my sauce for about 2-3 hours and then blend it with an immersion blender until it's smooth. I then add the basil at the end in huge chunks so it stays green and sweet.

If you want to make this sauce in to Tomato Basil Soup, just add 2 cups of the sauce to 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock and simmer.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment